Kindness

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 14 03:35:53 EDT 2018

On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 05:19:36 +0300, Mikhail V wrote:

> From Marko's check-list:
> [ ] The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality

Many Python programmers -- perhaps the majority -- know more than one
programming language, enjoy some of them, and can appreciate their
strengths and the differences between them. Most of the core devs are
competent C programmers. I don't know what percentage of Python
programmers know only Python, and no other language, but my guess is that
outside of school kids learning the language because their school makes
it compulsory, it's probably a small percentage.

The Python community has a long and glorious history of borrowing ideas
from other languages, without slavishly following them. Neither "not
invented here" nor "never invented here".

These are not the characteristics of "us-versus-them".

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson