Kindness

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jul 14 13:28:42 EDT 2018

On 7/14/2018 3:35 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2018 05:19:36 +0300, Mikhail V wrote:
>
>>  From Marko's check-list:
>> [ ] The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality
>
> Many Python programmers -- perhaps the majority -- know more than one
> programming language, enjoy some of them, and can appreciate their
> strengths and the differences between them.

Though I mostly only use Python now, I have used over 20 languages.

> Most of the core devs are competent C programmers.

A good thing.  I once was but to focus on Python instead.  To work on
IDLE, I had to learn tkinter, which is effective a different language.
Numpy and Django, for instance, are also effectively different languages
implemented in Python.

  I don't know what percentage of Python
> programmers know only Python, and no other language, but my guess is that
> outside of school kids learning the language because their school makes
> it compulsory, it's probably a small percentage.
>
> The Python community has a long and glorious history of borrowing ideas
> from other languages, without slavishly following them. Neither "not
> invented here" nor "never invented here".

A review of other languages is a routine part of PEP discussions, and
sometimes included in the PEP.

--
Terry Jan Reedy