Using Python 2

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 23:08:09 EDT 2017

Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> The risk to Python will be whether the occasion is
> exploited by fanboys of competing programming languages.
> The migration from Python 2 might be to something else than
> Python 3 in some circles.

That has been my observation as well. Python-dev and Python-
ideas have become echo chambers that ignore the majority of
Python users for the sake of a hand-full of squeaky wheels,
squeaky wheels that are all squeaking to the same tune.

Sure, many of the "everyday users" for which i speak don't
care to defile themselves in the bitter politics that runs
rampant on these lists, but, by rejecting the majority, the
language itself looses many loyal supporters. So why bother
migrating to Python3, when we can migrate to another
language that does not suffer the same fundamental flaws,
and who does not forcefully reject those who dare to
question the new found religion of Python3?

New is not always "better", you know...

But that's what the Python3 jihadis want us to believe.

You see folks, a long time ago (and not so long as you may
think!), the same people who now despise Python2, were
singing its praises. Oh yes, Python2 had just replaced
Python1, and then we were told that Python2 was the best
thing since sliced bread. And this was the chant of the
pymonks for many years, until Python3 came on the scene.
Then, all of a sudden, Python2 (yes, the same Python2 that
had been a quality tool only a day earlier!), suddenly
transformed into a despised and ancient thing.