how to read in the newsreader

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:07:37 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-16, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 October 2017 at 15:41, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Point your newsreader to news.gmane.org,
>>
>> That, IMO, is the only sane way to read mailing lists.  If a mailing
>> list isn't carried on gmane, I don't bother with it.
>
> Unless you work regularly on multiple PCs, as there's no newsreader I
> know of that maintains your settings (what articles you have read, in
> particular) across multiple installations.

Ah yes.  I solved problem that by writing a wrapper around slrn so
that my .newsrc and .score files reside "in the could".  [They're
actually just sitting in my home directory on a Unix server which I
can scp them to/from.

> And gmane's UI sucks.

AFIAK, it has no UI.  The web interface has been completely broken for
a couple years now.  It was always mediocre at best (the built-in
search was useless), but it did provide something that you could
search with Google, and it was sometimes handy when you wanted to
provide somebody with a link to a particular posting from years gone
by.

> For that situation, reading mailing lists as mails in gmail is the
> best option I've been able to find (not ideal, but adequate).

You mean the gmail web UI?  I don't even use that e-mail (and I use
gmail for all my e-mail).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm encased in the
                                  at               lining of a pure pork