how to read in the newsreader

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:21:44 EDT 2017

On 16 October 2017 at 16:07, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-10-16, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unless you work regularly on multiple PCs, as there's no newsreader I
>> know of that maintains your settings (what articles you have read, in
>> particular) across multiple installations.
>
> Ah yes.  I solved problem that by writing a wrapper around slrn so
> that my .newsrc and .score files reside "in the could".  [They're
> actually just sitting in my home directory on a Unix server which I
> can scp them to/from.

Something like that would be great, but not practical for me to write
myself. I'm on Windows machines, and Windows newsreaders from what I
recall aren't as hackable as Unix ones (I'm able to write the code,
but not if the data isn't accessible...). Also, on at least one of my
PCs I'm behind a firewall that blocks access to pretty much all
"personal cloud storage" sites, so a DIY solution isn't possible.
Something like Chrome's "sync my settings" would be ideal, but I've
never found anything like that in a newsreader.

> You mean the gmail web UI?  I don't even use that e-mail (and I use
> gmail for all my e-mail).

Yep. Same reason, it's the only globally accessible option. (I could
use a mail client on the systems that don't block IMAP, but I'd still
need the web UI for the others, and for "borrowed" PCs that I have no
software on).

The cloud is great, but the app UIs are still a lot worse than a
dedicated client app, sadly...
Paul