Ideas about how software should behave

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Nov 10 17:15:52 EST 2017

On 11/8/17 3:05 PM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu>:
>> It is my experience of this group/list that if one disagrees with any
>> of you, Steve and Chris, you all rally round and gang up on that
>> person to insult and belittle them. This makes the atmosphere quite
>> hostile, and it would be quite remarkable if it isn't hurting the
>> community by driving people away. Please stop doing it.
> This forum is about a dead thing, a programming language. I wouldn't
> make too big a deal about "the community."
>
> If someone's postings constantly frustrate you, simply place them in
> your killfile. I've done that to people. People have done that to me.

Tolerating bad behavior and advising people to cope by kill-filing is
terrible advice. It means the bad behavior continues, unseen by
regulars, and newcomers find a place rife with muck, unaddressed. Use a
kill file if you like, but that is not the way the group as a whole is
going to deal with it.

--Ned.