Ideas about how software should behave

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Nov 10 23:52:00 EST 2017

Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>:

> On 11/8/17 3:05 PM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> If someone's postings constantly frustrate you, simply place them in
>> your killfile. I've done that to people. People have done that to me.
>
> Tolerating bad behavior and advising people to cope by kill-filing is
> terrible advice. It means the bad behavior continues, unseen by
> regulars, and newcomers find a place rife with muck, unaddressed. Use
> a kill file if you like, but that is not the way the group as a whole
> is going to deal with it.

Outright abuse should not be tolerated; that's just general humanity.

However, not all obnoxiousness is abuse. If a thread is off topic or too
long, or if someone has an irritating style or frustrates you otherwise,
the best way to deal with it is to skip the discussion or plonk the
individual.

I don't believe I normally would use such crude expressions myself, but
calling some idea idiocy in an intellectual debate is *not*
automatically abuse.

Marko