Ideas about how software should behave

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Nov 9 16:51:19 EST 2017

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:

> And on that note, shouldn't participants on this list follow the
> Python code of conduct[1]? Specifically, I don't see a lot of
> adherence to the mandate to be "tactful when approaching differing
> views" in this debate :-(

Yes, we should all adhere to the forum's Code of Conduct. Where I've not
done that – and certainly it happens often enough – I want to know, and
to work harder to live up to it, without compromising the critical
examination of ideas expressed.

> Tact isn't about explaining how what *you* said shouldn't be taken the
> way the other person appears to be taking it. It's about accepting
> that the other person took your words in a particular way, and
> acknowledging and dealing with the fact that their interpretation is
> real to them, and should not be dismissed as "mistaken".

I accept all of that, and I do think tact is too often in short supply.

--
 \              “Begin with false premises and you risk reaching false |
  `\   conclusions. Begin with falsified premises and you forfeit your |