Ideas about how software should behave

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 03:49:44 EST 2017

On 9 November 2017 at 05:08, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:
>
>> Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu>:
>> > It is my experience of this group/list that if one disagrees with any
>> > of you, Steve and Chris, you all rally round and gang up on that
>> > person to insult and belittle them. This makes the atmosphere quite
>> > hostile, and it would be quite remarkable if it isn't hurting the
>> > community by driving people away. Please stop doing it.
>>
>> This forum is about a dead thing, a programming language. I wouldn't
>> make too big a deal about "the community."
>
> On the contrary, this forum is about a *community of people*, formed
> around a programming language.
>
> The community is primary here, I am in full agreement with Jon on that.

100% agreed.

And on that note, shouldn't participants on this list follow the
Python code of conduct[1]? Specifically, I don't see a lot of
adherence to the mandate to be "tactful when approaching differing
views" in this debate :-(

Tact isn't about explaining how what *you* said shouldn't be taken the
way the other person appears to be taking it. It's about accepting
that the other person took your words in a particular way, and
acknowledging and dealing with the fact that their interpretation is
real to them, and should not be dismissed as "mistaken".

Paul

[1] https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/

PS I won't respond to any explanations of how what I'm saying here is
incorrect, or misguided. I don't want to further fan the flames.