How to install Python package from source on Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed May 17 16:49:09 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:27 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> I'll repeat what I said before: I don't want to build CPython with VS2015. I
> wanted to build it with Tiny C.
>
> The purpose of doing the latter was to evaluate what the performance might
> be, if for example Tiny C became the bundled C compiler so as to quickly get
> a source distribution going. Bundling VS2015 with CPython sources is not
> going to happen.
>
> (Although I wouldn't really be surprised if someone tried it. People here
> don't seem to see anything wrong with cracking a small nut with a
> particularly massive sledgehammer.)

Before you can build CPython with Tiny C, you need to be sure that Tiny C can:

1) malloc and free arbitrary blocks of memory
2) open and close files and do other file system operations
3) perform trignometric calculations (sin/cos/tan and friends)
4) start threads and subprocesses
5) ascertain the time of day and any other clocks available
6) acquire and release semaphores
etc, etc, etc.

These features are provided generally by the C standard library. Does
Tiny C support all of those? If so, how? Do you include a full
standard library, or link against someone else's?

ChrisA