How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Wed May 17 18:21:55 EDT 2017

On 17/05/2017 21:49, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Before you can build CPython with Tiny C, you need to be sure that Tiny C can:
>
> 1) malloc and free arbitrary blocks of memory
> 2) open and close files and do other file system operations

It would be a bit limiting if it couldn't! Tiny C isn't a toy (I did
think so once before I tried it). It's just very small and very fast.

With building, you just have to try compiling and linking (given the
right file information) and see what errors arise.

> 3) perform trignometric calculations (sin/cos/tan and friends)
> 4) start threads and subprocesses
> 5) ascertain the time of day and any other clocks available
> 6) acquire and release semaphores
> etc, etc, etc.
>
> These features are provided generally by the C standard library. Does
> Tiny C support all of those? If so, how? Do you include a full
> standard library, or link against someone else's?

I'm not the author of Tiny C, so I wouldn't know.

My own approach with the standard library is that I just use what is
provided by the OS (so msvcrt.dll or libc.so.6).

I expect Tiny C does the same as it doesn't appear to come with any
libraries of its own.

--
bartc