How to install Python package from source on Windows

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Wed May 17 03:23:09 EDT 2017

Chris Angelico wrote, on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:02 AM

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Deborah Swanson
> <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> > So perhaps now you might be agreeing with me that investing
> in Windows
> > and Visual Studio now is a shortsighted move that will
> likely result
> > in long term grief for Python?  Maybe reconsidering it?
>
> Not at all. I never said Windows wasn't important - just that
> it isn't secure. Having Python able to run on Windows is a
> HUGE benefit for the people who use Windows. Obviously it has
> a cost, and a quite significant one, but it's not a bad
> decision on the part of the Python core devs.
>
> But if Windows were to die a quiet death (or, as some have
> predicted, progressively morph into being a skin atop Linux,
> and then get spun off as an open source project while
> Microsoft concentrates on Azure), it would in my opinion be a
> great boon for the world.
>
> ChrisA

Indeed.

And it made me glad to read earlier in this thread that Python devs are
leaving themselves a way out of this partnersip with Visual Studio, in
the form of only agreeing to use the VS for currently supported Windows
(or something like that).

I suppose that's at least one reason why XP has become a pariah in the
Python world, and I still predict grief coming from the Python-Visual
Studio alliance. But so it goes.