How to install Python package from source on Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed May 17 03:01:42 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Deborah Swanson
<python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> So perhaps now you might be agreeing with me that investing in Windows
> and Visual Studio now is a shortsighted move that will likely result in
> long term grief for Python?  Maybe reconsidering it?

Not at all. I never said Windows wasn't important - just that it isn't
secure. Having Python able to run on Windows is a HUGE benefit for the
people who use Windows. Obviously it has a cost, and a quite
significant one, but it's not a bad decision on the part of the Python
core devs.

But if Windows were to die a quiet death (or, as some have predicted,
progressively morph into being a skin atop Linux, and then get spun
off as an open source project while Microsoft concentrates on Azure),
it would in my opinion be a great boon for the world.

ChrisA