How to install Python package from source on Windows

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed May 17 11:26:42 EDT 2017

On Wednesday 17 May 2017 02:31:04 Deborah Swanson wrote:

> > Chris Angelico wrote, on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:50 PM
> >
> > > For the person who's using it, or for all the malware authors
> > > who are gleefully using your computer as their own
> > > playground? It certainly is a fine operating system for the
> > > latter.
> > >
> > > ChrisA
> >
> > Nobody's used my XP for a malware playground since about
> > 2006. I used to have about a dozen traps and traces that put
> > a stop to all that. Now I only have one, and it hasn't seen
> > hide nor hair of a single trace or sign of malware in the 6
> > or so years that I've had only that one sentry.
> >
> > Not my problem if people can't use their computers and browse
> > the web sensibly. And I repeat, it's not something I should
> > be continually beat around the head about.
> >
> > So please stop beating me up about it, you fools.
> >
> > Deborah
>
> Can you imagine how much money and grief could have been saved with a
> massive computer and internet use education blitz back in about 2005,
> instead of the coddling and "saving from the malware monsters" that we
> got instead? I figured out how to do it, surely others could. (I was
> way too sick then to do any more than protect myself.)
>
> People are barely little safer from malware today than they were in
> 2005. The evidence from that is the proliferation of identity theft,
> fraudulent tax returns for refunds and the pervasive presence, power
> and purloined wealth of the malware kings. And they don't just prey on
> hapless XP users, follow the research yourself. Windows 7+ is
> outstripping XP victims now, no doubt all the shaming to make XP users
> upgrade has merely decimated their numbers and made the bandwagon
> climbers-on vulnerable to all the Windows7+ tools the malware kings
> can now employ (don't you guys read any of this stuff?). Windows 7+ is
> no protection from malware, the malware kings are just stealthier and
> more technically expert now. Just because your machine isn't behaving
> like a malware-ridden XP did in the early 2000's doesn't mean that the
> malware kings aren't getting you.
>
> But the myth that modern Windows users are safe from malware is just
> that, a myth. I have plenty of Microsoftie friends who tell me
> privately that this is so. And if these new operating systems were
> designed from the get go to be so safe from malware, why the need for
> the constant stream of patches, and the thousands (or more) of
> zero-days they haven't devised patches for yet, or they even know are
> out there to be patched? Why are botnets still a flourishing
> enterprise, and now ransomware is on the rise? Hint, the malware kings
> aren't raking in all their wealth and power from XP machines alone.
>
> It's a strange, strange world when people surrender their
> responsibilities to the money makers who promise them safety and
> security with no sweat required. And they get to let the NSA and other
> government black actors spy on them for free in the bargain. It's a
> [...]

Pay attention to this lady, she has BTDT enough to make an astute
observation.

I'm hiding behind a locked down dd-wrt router, but sure as hell, some
black hat will find a way to get past it.  No one has in a decade yet,
but...  Deborah is correct.  Everytime you lock a door, put another
differently locked door to back it up.

And its not going to change until the castle doctrine extends to ones net
presence.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)