Instagram: 40% Py3 to 99% Py3 in 10 months (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 02:25:55 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> No RHEL/CentOS release so far ships with Py3. Maybe RHEL 8 will.
>
> That's a big deal for where I work. We'd love to implement things in
> Python in our products but won't do it before Py3 is included on all
> customer platforms. RHEL 7 is among the most important Linux
> distributions out there, and it will be with us for years to come: <URL:
> https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata>.

By "ships with", do you mean that it's not there by default, or that
you can't get it through yum? Because if it's just the former, you
should be able to declare that your program depends on Python 3. RHEL
6 came out in 2010 and RHEL 7 in 2014, so I would be very surprised if
there's no Python 3 available in either (the latter should have been
able to pick up 3.3 or 3.4, depending on feature freeze).
Unfortunately, all I can find on official sites is behind a paywall,
and the info on Stack Exchange assumes that you've already seen the
official info and/or can type "yum search python3" or "yum install
python3" to try it.

ChrisA