Instagram: 40% Py3 to 99% Py3 in 10 months (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Wed Jun 21 02:01:32 EDT 2017

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> I don't know how to check RHEL package lists without having a license,
> but RHEL 4 and 5 came out before Py3 was released. So "we need to
> support RHEL 4" would be a legit reason to avoid Python 3 - but it's
> also a reason to avoid Python 2.7, as RHEL 4 ships with Python 2.3 or
> 2.4 or something. Also, I believe there are backports available,
> though I don't have proof of that.
>
> Use Python 3.

No RHEL/CentOS release so far ships with Py3. Maybe RHEL 8 will.

That's a big deal for where I work. We'd love to implement things in
Python in our products but won't do it before Py3 is included on all
customer platforms. RHEL 7 is among the most important Linux
distributions out there, and it will be with us for years to come: <URL:
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata>.

Marko