Instagram: 40% Py3 to 99% Py3 in 10 months (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 09:43:15 EDT 2017

On 06/21/2017 12:25 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> By "ships with", do you mean that it's not there by default, or that
> you can't get it through yum? Because if it's just the former, you
> should be able to declare that your program depends on Python 3. RHEL
> 6 came out in 2010 and RHEL 7 in 2014, so I would be very surprised if
> there's no Python 3 available in either (the latter should have been
> able to pick up 3.3 or 3.4, depending on feature freeze).

Python3 is not in the official repos at all for either RHEL 6 or 7.
Certainly not 4 or 5.

It is, however, available in EPEL repository. EPEL is associated loosely
with Red Hat, but it's by no means and officially-supported repository,
and many organizations may have policies disallowing its use, or the use
of any other third-party repo, for security and stability reasons.

Docker might be another possibility for using and deploying Python3 apps
in RHEL, although Docker itself is a third-party installation, although
from a corporate point of view, since Docker is available with
commercial support, it may be allowed.

Also Red Hat has a repo called the "Software Collections Library" that
contains up-to-date compilers and languages, including Python 3.6.
However by design these packages install into specialized,
self-contained environments (not in the system path or library search
path) so as not to conflict in any way with system versions.  As such
they are a bit awkward to deal with, particularly if you want to build
applications using Python 3.6 from the SCL and run them normally in
RHEL.  You'd need a wrapper script to set up the runtime environment
before running the Python script.