Transitioning from Linux to Windows

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Sun Jun 4 19:44:30 EDT 2017

On 05/06/17 00:35, chitturk at uah.edu wrote:
> It is not difficult (for me) - I developed the scripts to analyze files created by two different linux boxes (why two boxes is a longer story) (these are linux machines connected to gene sequencers) - the users are likely going to be fairly naive when it comes to running/using programs - and while the files can be transferred to the windows machine and then analyzed/examined, was trying to see if the windows machines can be used as simply a front end (no file transfers/etc) - but yes, it is indeed a solution that can be implemented - get the files over, run the script on windows machines (even as it makes me nervous to run scripts on windows systems - with or without anaconda - I am so used to being in the Linux environment that dealing with windows makes me nervous :(

I see. Well, if you're going to be building a user-friendly user
interface anyway, it shouldn't make much of a difference (development
work load wise) whether you use web technologies (as discussed here),
Tkinter, PyQt, or something else, unless you're already familiar with
one of them.

(if you're still toying with the idea of hacking together something with
PuTTy and the users SSHing in from Windows, then a command line script
on the user's PC might actually be more user-friendly...)