Choosing a Python IDE. what is your Pythonish recommendation? I do not know what to choose.

Matt Wheeler m at funkyhat.org
Mon Jan 2 16:30:25 EST 2017

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 at 16:24 Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Really, the basic stuff is enough to be very productive in vim.  In fact
> just knowing how to save and quit is half the battle!  A little cheat
> sheet for vim by your keyboard would be plenty I think.  If all you knew
> was how to change modes, insert, append, change word, yank, delete, and
> paste, that is 99% of what you'd use every day.  You can use normal
> arrow keys, home, end, and page up and page down for cursor movement in
> vim, so even if you can't remember ^,$, gg, or GG, you'll do fine.
> Eventually you can begin to add in other things, like modifiers to c
> (change).

I second this. Make sure you've got all the nice Vim stuff enabled (set
nocompatible, set mouse=a etc.). And if you're not comfortable to begin
with using normal-mode commands, just stick with the mouse, arrow keys &
insert mode.
Once you get comfortable with that, perhaps set a target to learn one or
two normal-mode commands a week and go from there. I found as soon as I'd
learnt to use the direction commands & save I was already more productive
in vim than Notepad++ for example, and I just got faster from there.

> There probably are a lot of nice plugins for ViM, but I use none of
> them. I just don't find them that useful.  I don't seem to need any IDE
> help with Python.

On the other hand I use bags of plugins. I particularly recommend Jedi if
your computer is fast enough (it's a bit of a resource hog), and syntastic
as a great way to integrate style checkers & linters into vim.

Matt Wheeler
http://funkyh.at