Choosing a Python IDE. what is your Pythonish recommendation? I do not know what to choose.

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 2 16:54:25 EST 2017

On 02Jan2017 21:30, Matt Wheeler <m at funkyhat.org> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 at 16:24 Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Really, the basic stuff is enough to be very productive in vim.  In fact
>> just knowing how to save and quit is half the battle!  A little cheat
>> sheet for vim by your keyboard would be plenty I think. [...]

When I was learning vi I'd often spend a day learning a single keystroke. Not
because they're hard, but because I wanted it in my typing muscle memory. This
approach controlled the numberof new things I was trying to learn (roughly one
thing at a time) while still steadily accumulating vi skills.

[...]
>Once you get comfortable with that, perhaps set a target to learn one or
>two normal-mode commands a week and go from there.

Indeed, like that!

>> There probably are a lot of nice plugins for ViM, but I use none of
>> them. I just don't find them that useful.  I don't seem to need any IDE
>> help with Python.
>
>On the other hand I use bags of plugins. I particularly recommend Jedi if
>your computer is fast enough (it's a bit of a resource hog), and syntastic
>as a great way to integrate style checkers & linters into vim.

I've been a traditional vi die hard for too long. I moved to vim (as my
default) some years ago for: utf-8 support, syntax colouring, filename
completion.

Recently I'm in a shiny new job with shinier newer people and am starting down
the Dark Path of plugins. Presently I'm using ctrlp, which is a great way to
open files in a deep/wide code tree, partiularly one which is still unfamiliar.

I guess my point here is that, as with others, you don't need to be expert with
a particular editor; once past the basics you will be productive and you can
steadily accrue skill with it.

Regarding IDEs, my environment is a shell terminal and a vim terminal and a
browser for doco. Tiled windows (exactly how depends on your platform - I'm on
a Mac at present and using Divvy to position windows).

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>