Choosing a Python IDE. what is your Pythonish recommendation? I do not know what to choose.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 11:24:06 EST 2017

On 01/02/2017 04:38 AM, Antonio Caminero Garcia wrote:
> The problem with Vim is the learning curve, so I know the very basic
> stuff, but obviously not enough for coding and I do not have time to
> learn it, it is a pity because there are awesome plugins that turns
> Vim into a lightweight powerful IDE-like. So now it is not an option
> but I will reconsider it in the future, learning little by little.
> Also, I am not very fan GUI guy if the task can be accomplished
> through the terminal. However, I don’t understand why people
> underrate GUIs, that said I normally use shortcuts for the most
> frequent tasks and when I have to do something that is not that
> frequent then I do it with the mouse, for the latter case in vim you
> would need to look for that specific command every time.

Really, the basic stuff is enough to be very productive in vim.  In fact
just knowing how to save and quit is half the battle!  A little cheat
sheet for vim by your keyboard would be plenty I think.  If all you knew
was how to change modes, insert, append, change word, yank, delete, and
paste, that is 99% of what you'd use every day.  You can use normal
arrow keys, home, end, and page up and page down for cursor movement in
vim, so even if you can't remember ^,$, gg, or GG, you'll do fine.
Eventually you can begin to add in other things, like modifiers to c
(change).

There probably are a lot of nice plugins for ViM, but I use none of
them. I just don't find them that useful.  I don't seem to need any IDE
help with Python.