Python application launcher (for Python code)

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Feb 21 10:43:51 EST 2017

BartC wrote, on February 21, 2017 5:52 AM

> On 20/02/2017 15:44, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > Ben Finney wrote, on February 19, 2017 11:27 PM

> this hasn't

> >> Can you describe what you are looking for, in enough
> detail that we
> >> can know whether it's already been done as you want it?
>
> > I deliberately left the question open-ended because I'm
> curious what's
> > out there. I've studied and practiced Python for a little
> over a year,
> > but I've spent that time mostly writing my own code and I
> don't really
> > know much about what and where to look for in modules and packages.
> >
> > Basically, I now have quite a few Python programs I use frequently,
> > and as time goes on my collection and uses of it will grow.
> Right now
> > I just want a way to select which one I'd like to run and
> run it. I'd
> > like it to be a standalone application and some sort of system of
> > categories would be nice.
>
> If you use Windows, then the OS can take care of this. You
> don't need a
> separate application, just open up a directory showing a list of .py
> files, and click on one.
>
> Then if '.py' is correctly associated with the right Python
> version, it
> will run Python on it.
>
> To group into categories, just put the .py files into separate, aptly
> named directories.
>
> The only problem I found, when launching in GUI mode, was that a
> console-mode Python program would briefly open a console window that
> would then promptly disappear if it finished immediately and
> there was
> no interaction.
>
> --
> bartc

Yes, I can see that only one person who has responded so far is remotely
familiar with what an application launcher is, and that person only
alluded to one, and hinted at some features I saw that could possibly be
used as an application launcher.

I like Linux for this job, as it has a number of capabilities that
Windows doesn't have, and I was looking for an improvement on what I can
do in Windows. If you do a lot of computing it's nice to have tools and
code you commonly use, and only the ones you've chosen, conveniently
available from one interface. This interface could have other
functionalities itself.

I was asking if anyone knew of Python code that acts in this way, and it
appears so far that the answer is no.

Deborah