Python application launcher (for Python code)

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Tue Feb 21 08:52:24 EST 2017

On 20/02/2017 15:44, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote, on February 19, 2017 11:27 PM
>>
>> "Deborah Swanson" <python at deborahswanson.net> writes:
>>
>>> I could probably write this myself, but I'm wondering if this hasn't
>
>>> already been done many times.
>>
>> Can you describe what you are looking for, in enough detail
>> that we can know whether it's already been done as you want it?

> I deliberately left the question open-ended because I'm curious what's
> out there. I've studied and practiced Python for a little over a year,
> but I've spent that time mostly writing my own code and I don't really
> know much about what and where to look for in modules and packages.
>
> Basically, I now have quite a few Python programs I use frequently, and
> as time goes on my collection and uses of it will grow. Right now I just
> want a way to select which one I'd like to run and run it. I'd like it
> to be a standalone application and some sort of system of categories
> would be nice.

If you use Windows, then the OS can take care of this. You don't need a
separate application, just open up a directory showing a list of .py
files, and click on one.

Then if '.py' is correctly associated with the right Python version, it
will run Python on it.

To group into categories, just put the .py files into separate, aptly
named directories.

The only problem I found, when launching in GUI mode, was that a
console-mode Python program would briefly open a console window that
would then promptly disappear if it finished immediately and there was
no interaction.

--
bartc