Python application launcher (for Python code)

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Mon Feb 20 21:40:29 EST 2017

Ben Finney wrote, on February 20, 2017 5:50 PM

> "Deborah Swanson" <python at deborahswanson.net> writes:
>
> > Basically, I now have quite a few Python programs I use frequently,
> > and as time goes on my collection and uses of it will grow. Right
now
> > I just want a way to select which one I'd like to run and run it.
I'd
> > like it to be a standalone application and some sort of system of
> > categories would be nice.
>
> I agree with others that you appear to be describing a "shell":
>
>     In computing, a shell is a user interface for access to
> an operating
>     system's services. In general, operating system shells
> use either a
>     command-line interface (CLI) or graphical user interface (GUI),
>     depending on a computer's role and particular operation.
>
>     <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)>

Yes, though Windows is a bit snarlier than Linux, especially since the
only way I could get a Python3 install out of Anaconda was by
sacrificing their installed console, paths, etc. I got 3.4.3 before they
slammed the door on Windows XP, and it works fine if you access it from
an IDE like PyCharm, but not so fine if you try to get to it in a DOS
box (cmd.com). Another bunch of good reasons to get Linux back asap.

> When writing your own programs, organise them on the
> filesystem in a way that makes sense for you (Python's
> modules, packages, and imports will respond to your
> filesystem layout once you learn how to arrange them).
>
> Then, use the operating system shell to invoke the program
> you want on each occasion.
>
> --
>  \             "We can't depend for the long run on
> distinguishing one |
>   `\         bitstream from another in order to figure out
> which rules |
> _o__)               apply." -Eben Moglen, _Anarchism
> Triumphant_, 1999 |
> Ben Finney

Sounds like a plan!