Python application launcher (for Python code)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 20 20:50:00 EST 2017

"Deborah Swanson" <python at deborahswanson.net> writes:

> Basically, I now have quite a few Python programs I use frequently, and
> as time goes on my collection and uses of it will grow. Right now I just
> want a way to select which one I'd like to run and run it. I'd like it
> to be a standalone application and some sort of system of categories
> would be nice.

I agree with others that you appear to be describing a “shell”:

    In computing, a shell is a user interface for access to an operating
    system's services. In general, operating system shells use either a
    command-line interface (CLI) or graphical user interface (GUI),
    depending on a computer's role and particular operation.

    <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_(computing)>

When writing your own programs, organise them on the filesystem in a way
that makes sense for you (Python's modules, packages, and imports will
respond to your filesystem layout once you learn how to arrange them).

Then, use the operating system shell to invoke the program you want on
each occasion.

--
 \             “We can't depend for the long run on distinguishing one |
  `\         bitstream from another in order to figure out which rules |