Python application launcher (for Python code)

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:38:51 EST 2017

On 2017-02-21, Deborah Swanson <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:

> Yes, I can see that only one person who has responded so far is remotely
> familiar with what an application launcher is, and that person only
> alluded to one, and hinted at some features I saw that could possibly be
> used as an application launcher.

I think I've read every posting in this thread, and I _still_ don't
know what you mean by "application launcher".

> I like Linux for this job, as it has a number of capabilities that
> Windows doesn't have, and I was looking for an improvement on what I can
> do in Windows. If you do a lot of computing it's nice to have tools and
> code you commonly use, and only the ones you've chosen, conveniently
> available from one interface.

Isn't that what shortcuts and start menu and all the other shiny-bits
on GUI desktop environments do?  [I don't use a "desktop" so maybe I'm
wrong.]  The "root menu" provided by many window managers is also a
common way to do this (that's something I do use).  A command-line
shell like bash is also a common way to do this.  And yes, there are
plenty of them available for Windows.

> This interface could have other functionalities itself.
>
> I was asking if anyone knew of Python code that acts in this way,

What way?  I can't figure out how what you want is not what's provided
by any of the standard GUI desktop/shells or command-line shells.  Are
you looking for a 1980s-style menu driven UI that were common before
GUIs came into widespread use?

> and it appears so far that the answer is no.

I think the problem is that you're unable to describe what you want in
a way that's understandable to the people that might be able to answer
your question.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! VICARIOUSLY experience
                                  at               some reason to LIVE!!