Benefits of unicode identifiers (was: Allow additional separator in identifiers)

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Sat Dec 9 22:26:01 EST 2017

On 10/12/17 02:42, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:20 am, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> On 12/9/2017 5:57 AM, Gilmeh Serda wrote:
>>
>>> And next demands to allow Unicode as keywords in a translated version of
>>> Python
>>
>> Python's liberal open source license allows people to revise and
>> distribute their own python or python-like interpreters.  I believe
>> there are already a couple of non-english versions aimed at schoolkids.
>> The cpython core developer group has nothing to do with such.
>
> I don't know who their target audiences are, but there's a German and Chinese
> version of Python.
>
> http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/teuton/teuton.htm
>
> http://www.chinesepython.org/english/english.html
>
> My *guess* is that Teuton is intended as a proof-of-concept just to show it
> can be done,

That's certainly what it looks like, though the documentation page reads
like a bad joke (or a once-mediocre one that really hasn't aged well).

Joke or not, it does appear to be real, however, and a part of this long
dead and forgotten package: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/EasyExtend/3.0.1

-- Thomas