Benefits of unicode identifiers (was: Allow additional separator in identifiers)

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Dec 9 20:42:04 EST 2017

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:20 am, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 12/9/2017 5:57 AM, Gilmeh Serda wrote:
>
>> And next demands to allow Unicode as keywords in a translated version of
>> Python
>
> Python's liberal open source license allows people to revise and
> distribute their own python or python-like interpreters.  I believe
> there are already a couple of non-english versions aimed at schoolkids.
> The cpython core developer group has nothing to do with such.

I don't know who their target audiences are, but there's a German and Chinese
version of Python.

http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/teuton/teuton.htm

http://www.chinesepython.org/english/english.html

My *guess* is that Teuton is intended as a proof-of-concept just to show it
can be done, and ChinesePython is intended for students.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.