What you can do about legalese nonsense on email (was: How to split value where is comma ?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:26:18 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>         I suspect, like the last two companies I've worked for -- corporate IT
> policy is to block any access to non-corporate email systems. (Heck, my
> current company is so paranoid that it adds "EXT:" to the subject of
> incoming emails that did not originate from another employee!
>
>         I haven't checked to see if GMAIL on a Samsung tablet can get through
> if using the corporate "guest" WiFi system. Pretty sure if I tether to my
> Blackberry phone it would work.

The most common way to access Gmail is HTTP, so it would be difficult
to mess with the emails as they go through. (You could block it, I
guess, but it'd have to be some sort of IP address blacklist - you
can't just say "no access to port 25 or 110".) And yes, if you tether
to your phone, you should get past the problems. That might be a
_little_ inconvenient though.

ChrisA