What you can do about legalese nonsense on email

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Sep 8 19:55:31 EDT 2016

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Joaquin Alzola
> <Joaquin.Alzola at lebara.com> wrote:
> > Hi Ben
> >
> > Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome, I hope it leads to positive change.

> > Basically what all comes down is to complain. I wonder if in a
> > company of 80,000 people I will manage to change that behaviour.

That's a good thing to wonder! But wondering will never get the answer
to this one: you'll have to *do* it, in a way that allows that change to
occur.

It is far more certain that if you don't use that power, you will not
effect positive change.

> You are one out of eighty thousand. I am zero out of eighty thousand.
> Short of suing the company or something of that nature, I have no
> chance of affecting it. You _do_ have a chance, exactly as per Ben's
> advice.

With tens of thousands of people all subject to the same stupid rule,
you have even more of a change: You have many more opportunities to find
people who can also complain about the same thing in the same forum.

Surely you are far from alone in realising how this exhibits arrant
incompetence on the internet, and that your employer would do well to
drop this mindless policy.

So if you know you have many people in the same situation, join forces
with them. That is another thing that we cannot do, and you can.

You have far more power in this than you may feel; and realising that
you *can* act is an imortant step to getting the positive change
effected.

--
 \     “You don't need a book of any description to help you have some |
  `\    kind of moral awareness.” —Dr. Francesca Stavrakoloulou, bible |