What you can do about legalese nonsense on email (was: How to split value where is comma ?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:57:47 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Joaquin Alzola
<Joaquin.Alzola at lebara.com> wrote:
> Hi Ben
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
>> * Complain
>
> Basically what all comes down is to complain. I wonder if in a company of 80,000 people I will manage to change that behaviour.
> This email is confidential and may be subject to privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not copy or disclose its content but contact the sender immediately upon receipt.

You are one out of eighty thousand. I am zero out of eighty thousand.
Short of suing the company or something of that nature, I have no
chance of affecting it. You _do_ have a chance, exactly as per Ben's
advice.

There is one option among Ben's suggestions that doesn't amount to "complain":

> * Switch to a different mail service, one which does not add that
>   nonsense to your email.

This amounts to "subvert". Now, if it's dead simple for you to remove
the disclaimer, the ball lands in the court of those wanting it on all
outgoing emails: they can either complain at you for omitting it, or
decide that it's not worth it. Again, this is a marked improvement;
and if you're bothered by the difficulty of changing a large and
bureaucratic organization, it's probably the easiest solution.

ChrisA

This email is overconfident and may be subject to grammar. If you are
not the intended sender, please do not confuse yourself for me but
contact the recipient immediately to report that you have lost your
marbles.