manually sorting images?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Sep 5 02:43:23 EDT 2016

Quivis <quivis at domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2016 21:32:47 +1000, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>
> >  What does it mean to sort images visually?
>
> 1. A directory of images collected over say, five years.
>
> 2. You want to sort them according to red houses, blue houses, green
> trees, yellow trees (that's autumn leaves), cats, dogs, children, elderly
> people, and so on, and rename them using some scheme you invented.
>
> 3. AFAIK there are no algorithms to do that with any higher degree of
> certainty, so you have to look through them and sort them manually.
> Usually using thumbnails.

Exactly.
The purpose is to generate a list for llgal (a HTML gallery creating tool).
llgal makes a good job, but has no GUI for manually sorting.

Geeqie, you mentioned before, does nearly exactly what I want, but it does not
respect the locale when writing the filename collection.
It always writes UTF8.

Ok, I can convert the filenames later by (python) script using the correct
locale.

The job is now:

call "geekie ."
user creates the collection and saves it
read the collection file (*)
convert the file names according to locale
prefix filenames with number (renaming)
call "llgal ..."

(*) Problem: how do I know which filename the user has choosen for the
             collection?

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/