manually sorting images?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:35:32 EDT 2016

On 09/04/2016 04:09 PM, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Quivis wrote:
>> 2. You want to sort them according to red houses, blue houses, green
>> trees, yellow trees (that's autumn leaves), cats, dogs, children, elderly
>> people,
>
> But... but... what if you have a picture of a child
> playing with a dog that's chasing an elderly cat up a
> yellow tree in front of a blue house? What category do
> you put it in?

And this is the weakness in all photo sorting schemes (human schemes
that is).  Some people try organizing folders, others try tagging.
Neither system works that well.  Tags sound good in theory, but in
practice they suck almost as much as folders.  Actually all tag-based
indexing systems suck, even for things like ebooks and music.  Keeping
tags consistent is difficult, and making them complete is impossible.
Maybe computer vision will ease this difficulty, but I kind of doubt it.