[Theory] How to speed up python code execution / pypy vs GPU

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Nov 10 02:36:02 EST 2016

On Thursday 10 November 2016 17:43, breamoreboy at gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 1:09:31 AM UTC, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>>

> [snipped]
>
> Steven, there is no need to be rude or condescending.

Indeed, and if I thought you were sincere, or knew what you were objecting to,
I might take your rebuke a bit more seriously.

But as it stands, it looks like you're obviously copying Ethan's words (almost
word-for-word identically) so I think you're just trying to make a point about
the general unfairness that you're called out for an unprovoked personal attack
on Bart while I got away with a friendly and light-hearted comment that he is
experienced enough to know how to ask for help with apt-get install numpy if he
wants it.

Yes, you're right, the world is harsh and cruel for those who can't tell the
difference between a personal attack and a gentle dig. Here's a couple of hints
as to why your comment was unacceptable and mine wasn't:

- you brought up discussions/issues from the past completely unrelated to the
current discussion, solely for the purpose of embarrassing Bart and re-opening
old arguments;

- I didn't;

- you compared him to a notorious (albeit possibly mythical) mass murderer of
children;

- I didn't.

Hope that helps.

--
Steven
299792.458 km/s — not just a good idea, it’s the law!