[Theory] How to speed up python code execution / pypy vs GPU

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 9 20:09:19 EST 2016

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:38 am, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 11/09/2016 02:10 PM, BartC wrote:
>> Good point, I use Ubuntu under Windows. It should be child's play,
>> except... 'sudo apt-get install numpy' or 'python-numpy' doesn't work.
>
> Something is wrong with your setup then.

Bart has been around long enough to know that saying "it doesn't work" is
useless. If he wanted a solution, he'd post the actual command he gave, and
the error message he received. I suspect he just wanted to whinge :-)

> Because both python-numpy and
> python3-numpy are in the standard ubuntu repositories, including the one
> that comes with the Ubuntu windows Linux subsystem.  I just installed
> them and they appear to work fine.
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install python-numpy

Indeed. But there could be any number of reasons why "it doesn't work",
starting with wrong repos in the apt-get config, typos in the command,
wrong password for sudo, internet connection is down, or keyboard not
plugged in.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.