[Theory] How to speed up python code execution / pypy vs GPU

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Wed Nov 9 20:16:38 EST 2016

On 10/11/2016 00:38, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 11/09/2016 02:10 PM, BartC wrote:
>> Good point, I use Ubuntu under Windows. It should be child's play,
>> except... 'sudo apt-get install numpy' or 'python-numpy' doesn't work.
>
> Something is wrong with your setup then. Because both python-numpy and
> python3-numpy are in the standard ubuntu repositories, including the one
> that comes with the Ubuntu windows Linux subsystem.  I just installed
> them and they appear to work fine.

Yes, I don't know what happened (but I like the myriad different ways
there are to get numpy!)

But now that I was about to use it, another problem. The Ubuntu Python
is 2.7. The Windows one has both 2.7 and 3.4 (and my IDE can select either).

The bit of code I wanted to run has Py3-style print functions. I tried
'import six' as someone suggested recently, but that didn't help as it
sees a syntax error in the Print line before 'six' can do its thing.

I suppose I can get rid of the prints for the test I wanted to do, or
find out how to do the same thing under Py2 print. Or install Py3 on
Ubuntu, which is a big job and I've no idea how to switch between them.

Or I could just leave it all until tomorrow...

--
Bartc