[Python-Dev] Python 3.6.0a1 is now available

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon May 23 22:50:30 EDT 2016

On 05/23/2016 07:36 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Ned,
> It looks like you're still building for OS-X v. 10.6.
>
> I can't find an official statement, but this:
> http://www.computerworld.com/article/2950580/operating-systems/the-end-is-near-for-os-x-mountain-lion-support.html
>
> Indicates that 10.8 is falling off Apple's support.
>
> Maybe it's time for a newer baseline.

Unless there's some technical reason that compiling for 10.6 and greater
is a bad idea (breaks something on newer OS's or otherwise does
something bad[1]), I think staying with 10.6 is preferrable.  Obviously
Python itself doesn't require anything that was introduced in OS X later
versions, yet.  I know of lots of users still hanging on to 10.6 because
it just works for their needs.  Until such time as Python requires a
newer API, why not stick with what works.  Does it not still run fine on
10.11 or whatever they are up to now?

[1] Dropping support for Windows XP is as much to do with newer APIs
that Python uses as anything else, if I'm not mistaken.