[Python-Dev] Python 3.6.0a1 is now available

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 24 04:10:17 EDT 2016

On 5/23/2016 10:50 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 05/23/2016 07:36 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
>> It looks like you're still building for OS-X v. 10.6.
>> I can't find an official statement, but this:
>> http://www.computerworld.com/article/2950580/operating-systems/the-end-is-near-for-os-x-mountain-lion-support.html
>> Indicates that 10.8 is falling off Apple's support.

> [1] Dropping support for Windows XP is as much to do with newer APIs
> that Python uses as anything else, if I'm not mistaken.

CPython developers wanted to use newer API years ago, and perhaps
sometimes did in #ifdefs.  Dropping of support for XP was specifically
tied to Microsoft doing the same.  The same will be true for Vista,
Win7, and Win8.  https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/

I don't know what will happen if 'Windows 10' continues indefinitely,
even as it mutates internally.  We will manage somehow, along with other
Windows software providers.

--
Terry Jan Reedy