Creating barrel distortion of video

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:52:50 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM,  <semeon.risom at gmail.com> wrote:
> This may seem like an odd request for the main python google group, but I thought this question might have answers coming from different backgrounds that utilize python.
>
> I'm trying to find a way of rendering an optical distortion on a video I will be presenting through the use of a head-mounted display. This distortion is necessary to correct the video due to the optics being used. Any advice on a module(s) or examples that already do this?

Hi! Seems like a perfectly reasonable request; there are tens of
thousands of packages listed on the Python Package Index, and this
mailing list is one of the best places to find advice!

Are you playing the video in real-time, or is it stored in a file that
you'll end up playing? If the latter, I would recommend looking into
FFMpeg (or its fork AVConv), which has an insane number of features,
and quite likely has what you want. It'll read in a file and write out
a file.

If it's real-time, though, I'm not sure what's best to do. Do you know
exactly what distortion you're trying to perform here?

ChrisA