Creating barrel distortion of video

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 8 23:27:20 EST 2016

On Wednesday 09 March 2016 12:52, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM,  <semeon.risom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This may seem like an odd request for the main python google group, but I
>> thought this question might have answers coming from different
>> backgrounds that utilize python.
>>
>> I'm trying to find a way of rendering an optical distortion on a video I
>> will be presenting through the use of a head-mounted display. This
>> distortion is necessary to correct the video due to the optics being
>> used. Any advice on a module(s) or examples that already do this?
>>

> Hi! Seems like a perfectly reasonable request;

Actually, it doesn't seem like a reasonable request to me. There's nothing
in the OP's question that suggests that he needs a Python library to do
this. In fact, your first suggestion:

> I would recommend looking into FFMpeg (or its fork AVConv)

has nothing to do with Python.

Unless the OP specifically needs to do this through Python, I would
recommend asking on forums specifically about video editing.

> If it's real-time, though, I'm not sure what's best to do. Do you know
> exactly what distortion you're trying to perform here?

"Barrel distortion", like the subject line says :-)

--
Steve