Setting up Python WinXP

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Wed Jun 22 13:10:14 EDT 2016

On 22/06/2016 17:41, Michael Smolen wrote:
> Folks:
> I can't wait to start programming with Python. However, I am having difficulty installing on my XP operating system. I downloaded Python-3.4.5ci as that seems like the version that will run on my operating system. The latest version will not as per mention on the website. I downloaded the compacted version  (*.tar), converted it to a *.tgz and extracted the software into a folder Python-3.4.5ci. That subdirectory contains numerous files (11) and 13 subdirectories. The README file states that "On Windows, see PCbuild/readme.txt.". That link was not found.
>
> So, I am clueless on what I need to do to successfully install Python3.4 on my computer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> mike

If you've got .tar and .tgz files then that doesn't sound like a Windows
binary. (I assume you want to download a ready-to-run binary release and
not try and build it from sources which I understand is not trivial.)

Google for 'python download for windows'. You're looking for a
self-installing executable or a .msi file.

--
Bartc