Setting up Python WinXP

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 22 13:13:54 EDT 2016

On 22-6-2016 18:41, Michael Smolen wrote:
> Folks:
> I can't wait to start programming with Python. However, I am having difficulty installing on my XP operating system. I downloaded Python-3.4.5ci as that seems like the version that will run on my operating system. The latest version will not as per mention on the website. I downloaded the compacted version  (*.tar), converted it to a *.tgz and extracted the software into a folder Python-3.4.5ci. That subdirectory contains numerous files (11) and 13 subdirectories. The README file states that "On Windows, see PCbuild/readme.txt.". That link was not found.
>
> So, I am clueless on what I need to do to successfully install Python3.4 on my computer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> mike

Don't try to install from the source archive which it seems you have downloaded.
Get the MSI installer instead from https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
I think you want to get the Python 3.4.3 "windows x86 msi installer", its about one
third down the page.

That being said, you probably already noticed that to stay with the game,  XP isn't
going to cut it anymore as it is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Irmen