Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:29:44 EST 2016

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 9:08:40 PM UTC-6, Chris Angelico wrote:
> You're talking about a very serious matter between two legal entities
> - if someone was *fired* because of social, technological, or other
> problems with Python, that has implications that could matter in a
> court of law. So I put it right back to you: What gives you the right
> to speak against Guido and Google?

I'm not speaking *AGAINST* anyone, i'm merely trying to
understand what happened. And unless there was some sort of
explicit contract, Google could fire *ANYONE* for *ANY*
reason -- this is not France, Chris!

> And Michael's right: people move around for all sorts of reasons.
> Doesn't necessarily mean anything about the previous job.

Of course. But when you leave things open for speculation,
you enviably create a situation where rumors can start
circulating. GvR is not just any "John Doe" engineer, no,
he's the head of an open source community, and the community
has a right to be concerned about the livelihood and well
being of their leader.

Not because we need something to gossip about whilst
watching reruns of Monty Python, but because we need to know
if Python is going to be viable into the foreseeable future.
More specifically, we need to know if we're writing code in
a language that is heading back to the obscurity from wench
it came. We have a *RIGHT* to be worried Chris, because our
livelihoods are directly dependent on Python.