Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:08:23 EST 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 8:11:40 PM UTC-6, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> Hmm, so Guido moved to Dropbox because Google fired him?
>> [...] I can find zero evidence to support your assertion,
>
> Feel free to post evidence that will *DISPROVE* my statement.
>
>> Dishonesty is a harsh accusation, but when one makes up
>> stuff to support one's argument, is that not lying?
>
> You cannot accuse me of lying until you provide *PROOF* that
> i am lying.

That's not how it goes. You provided assertions; you should provide at
least some sort of supporting evidence.

> But even if you offered proof, that GvR was not
> fired because of Python's downward spiral, your implication
> that an "assertion" is "a lie" is in itself dishonest
> (yes?). And your interpretation of my statement "as
> malicious" does speak volumes to your true feelings on the
> subject. Why do you feel *SO* compelled to speak on behalf
> of GvR? And furthermore, what gives you the right to speak on
> his behalf?

You're talking about a very serious matter between two legal entities
- if someone was *fired* because of social, technological, or other
problems with Python, that has implications that could matter in a
court of law. So I put it right back to you: What gives you the right
to speak against Guido and Google?

>> Besides that, people leave good jobs all the time for
>> other more challenging jobs. Who says it was cushy?  Cushy
>> because Google paid him to work on Python?
>
> Getting paid to work on Pyhton 20% of the time is a pretty
> damn cushy job Micheal! How much time does *YOUR* employer
> pay *YOU* to work on "side projects"?

It's hardly a side project if it's creating something of immense value
to the company. And Google is still getting immense value from Python
even now that they're not paying Guido's salary.

And Michael's right: people move around for all sorts of reasons.
Doesn't necessarily mean anything about the previous job.

ChrisA