Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 21:11:17 EST 2016

On 01/13/2016 06:02 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> In fact, in the years before Python3 arrived, it had enjoyed
> a steady ascension from obscurity into mainstream hacker
> culture, but now, all that remains is a fractured community,
> a fractured code base, and a leader who lost his cushy job
> at Google -- of which i think Python3 is directly
> responsible. Think about it: if they hired him *BECAUSE* of
> Python's success then we can *ONLY* conclude they fired him
> for mismanaging it.

Hmm, so Guido moved to Dropbox because Google fired him?  Interesting
revisionist history there.  I can find zero evidence to support your
assertion, so we can *ONLY* conclude that you are making stuff up.
Dishonesty is a harsh accusation, but when one makes up stuff to support
one's argument, is that not lying?

Besides that, people leave good jobs all the time for other more
challenging jobs.  Who says it was cushy?  Cushy because Google paid him
to work on Python?  Sounds like the move to Dropbox suited him just fine
and he and Python are both doing well. I'm sure there were contributing
factors to his decision to leave Google, like Google's NIH syndrome
(golang, dart, etc).  Things happen.