Running python from pty without prompt

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:49:11 EST 2016

On 12/13/2016 05:10 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> Can you show a simple demonstration of what you are doing?

I think they want to run Python, perhaps remotely via ssh, and feed it
both a script and input over standard-in (though a tty comes into this
somehow and I'm not clear on that).  Apparently in Ruby you can pass a
script to it via standard-in, then a ctrl-d, and standard-in is kept
open so they can then feed the ruby script input.  If Python supported
this, an example would look something like this:

$ python << EOF
a = input("Give me something: ")
print (a)
<^D>
test_input
EOF

Where ^D is a literal control-d character the marks the end of the
script and the beginning of input that will go to the script.

The tty part might come into play when they are using ssh to remotely
run the python process.  Standard in, though, is the primary mechanism
they want to use if I understand the OP correctly.

I think a wrapper that feeds exec() would do what he desires.