Running python from pty without prompt

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 13 19:10:40 EST 2016

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 09:24 am, Random832 wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016, at 17:09, Michael Torrie wrote:
>> On 12/13/2016 10:48 AM, Random832 wrote:
>> > The problem is there's currently no way to differentiate "interactive
>> > mode" from "script run on a tty".
>> >
>> > You can get similar behavior with python -c "import
>> > sys;exec(sys.stdin.read())"
>>
>> Are you sure? I can pipe scripts into Python and they run fine and
>> Python is not in interactive mode.
>
> Yes, a pipe and a tty are two different things.

Can you show a simple demonstration of what you are doing?

I'm having difficulty following this thread because I don't know
what "script run on a tty" means.

I thought that with the exception of scripts run from cron, any time you run
a script *or* in interactive mode, there is an associated tty. Am I wrong?

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.