Running python from pty without prompt

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Dec 13 19:54:42 EST 2016

Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> writes:

> I thought that with the exception of scripts run from cron, any time
> you run a script *or* in interactive mode, there is an associated tty.
> Am I wrong?

Any daemon will, by definition, have no controlling terminal.

Other processes can choose to detach themselves from their controlling
terminal.

Either of those could invoke Python, and then the Python program would
be running without any controlling terminal.

--
 \       “I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as |
  `\       my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer |