python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:30:51 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 2:17 AM, Paul  Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a non-nerfed (but *radically* different to bash) Windows shell, try Powershell. You'll probably hate it, but not because it's limited in capabilities :-)

Radically different from every shell I've ever called a shell. It
looks and feels more like a scripting language than a shell. Here's a
Windows batch script I put together that uses PS to do some of its
work:

https://github.com/Rosuav/Gypsum/blob/master/get_gypsum.bat

Granted, that was put together simply by searching Stack Overflow for
"how do I do *this* in PowerShell", so there might be other ways to do
it; but it feels to me like a VBScript interpreter, not a shell.

But hey. It exists by default on recent-enough Windowses, has the
features I want, and can be invoked by someone double-clicking on a
batch file. If you call it "flurgle", it won't make any difference to
me or to my work.

ChrisA