python 2.7.12 on Linux behaving differently than on Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:17:49 EST 2016

On Monday, 5 December 2016 15:06:05 UTC, Chris Angelico  wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:11 AM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> >
> > BTW what does Popen() do when one argument is '*.*'? Will that get expanded
> > to multiple extra arguments, and at what point will it be expanded?
>
> Nope. Popen is not a shell.
>
> It sounds as if you want a nerfed shell. Go ahead! I'm sure one
> exists. It'll frustrate you no end once you get used to a better
> shell, though - always does when I find myself on Windows...
>
> ChrisA

For a non-nerfed (but *radically* different to bash) Windows shell, try Powershell. You'll probably hate it, but not because it's limited in capabilities :-)

Paul

PS Apparently, powershell is now open source and available for Linux and OSX. See https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell - although I don't know if all the features available on Windows exist on other platforms (yet).